Are you responsible enough to be a leadership development coach?
Defining a leader
The simplest way to define a leader is any person who is responsible for or in charge of a group of employees/people. An individual who motivate others with an inspiring vision and set a path/direction towards something new, dynamic and exciting. He can be a manager, entrepreneur, supervisor, or an executive.
Then, who is a ‘leadership development coach’?
A leader becomes a development Coach/Mentor when he
- evaluates and understands the strengths & weaknesses of his team and aspires to motivate, guide, support and inspire them to achieve their life’s aspirations:
- acts as a sounding board, emotional support, a counsellor, voice of reason, a trusted source for his team members:
- is willing to share his experience, expertise, skills and knowledge with others;
- is well-aware about the organizational behaviour;
- recognizes the harmful work cultures, issues with leadership.
How do we really define Leadership Coaching?
- A process that helps build and improve a leader’s ability to attain the set organizational goals whether short-term or long-term is Leadership Coaching-and the individual who works towards these goals is a leadership development coach
- In simple terms, it is all about executive or business coaching that includes training of the leaders.
- It an individualized and a collaborative relationship between a coach and a leader.
- Keeping the purpose in mind, it is conducted through one-on-one settings and group interactions. It is merely based on mutual respect and trust.
- The firm, the executives and the executive coaches, work together to maximize the impact.
Significance of a leadership development coach in an Organization
Coaching is a collaboration between a coach and a leader where they work together to reach their destination. The aim is to transform the leader’s professional and personal life and bring an excellent behavioural change.
It’s a process of passing on the skills used by the firm’s leaders on a daily basis which enhance the performance of the members of the business.
It helps in bringing a healthy working culture within the organizations which ultimately benefits leaders as well as the teams.
People response to coaching by employing the new techniques and skills they learn with other people improving the communication process within the organization.
Coaching is an individualized and explicitly tailored process as opposed to workshops and training where the knowledge is generalized. It has become a substitute for firms who want to operate at its best.
Often a leader sees the coach as a personal soundboard, a secret thinking partner which makes it easy to interact and gain confidence in oneself. Some of the matters where a leader pursues coaching are:
- Refining of soft skills especially communication skills
- Development of effective leadership technique
- Learning to manage time and conflicts
- Balancing the professional and personal life
- Engaging personal development, career development and planning
- Boosting self-confidence, well-being & assertiveness
- Prioritizing the work efficiently
All in all, the goal of leadership coaching is to help strengthen the abilities, skills, and talents of the successful people. It helps in unlocking the hidden potential of the leaders making them more efficient.